Language help for the Football and Sports world
We work with sports clubs of national and international renown, including Tennis, Football and Rugby. English tends to be the lingua franca for communication among players, their coaches and managers in high ranking sports clubs where many different languages are commonly represented these days. Not everyone who comes here to work in sport has the necessary English skills- which is where we come in.
We offer many ways to help players and their families to settle in; to assist coaches and coaching teams to work in a common language and to interpret and translate for them when dealing with the media, lawyers and agents and sporting events internationally. For example:
- A Premiership manager wanted to use one language throughout the club, to generate team spirit. We provided lessons to all who needed it.
- Spanish football manager Gonzalo Arconada was recently in the UK studying English with la Academia. He spent 6 weeks with la Academia doing intensive English classes.
- We coach sportspeople through the Home Office exams to enable them to stay working in the UK.
- We provide GSCE and A Level tuition in English, Maths and Science for younger players, apprentices and players’ children.
Summer camps with Football and English
Live, Learn, Play! la Academia Young Minds has teamed up in an exciting partnership with BCSSA (Bobby Charlton Soccer Schools Academy) to provide English and football for youngsters from all over the world!
Children aged 8-18 will be able to spend up to 6 weeks at our Summer School, learning English and developing their football skills, learning from the best English teachers and the best football coaches. In addition they will be based in Manchester, the leading centre for football in the world!
It was at BCSSA that David Beckham was scouted to play for Manchester United.
Local football players can attend the non-residential course, and players from other parts of the UK and from other countries will stay in accommodation nearby. They will be staying with other children from all corners of the globe, and enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime English football experience; making friends, visiting England, touring a premiership club, and learning English with their new friends.
BCSSA was begun more than 30 years ago, and la Academia has been teaching youngsters languages in a fun environment since 2003. This partnership of the best soccer school with the best language school will give students an amazing experience. What better way to learn English – the language of football, business and international communication – than through enjoyment of a sport which the children love, in a truly international environment?
English course content:
- To ensure that the lessons are at the correct level, we assess each student’s English language level at the beginning of the camp, placing them into beginner, intermediate or advanced groups.
- We teach English in groups of no more than 10 to ensure teachers can provide individual feedback and help
- Our coaches use only English at the camp and students are encouraged to use English during their non-playing time also, such as during lunch breaks.
- Staff, coaches and fellow players will all speak English during trips and in the evenings – our aim is to create a fully English environment.
- This complete immersion in the English language, both while playing and at other times, helps the students build their confidence and vocabulary quickly.
- When the students finish we will again check on their English language level and we will issue a certificate attesting their new level, along with a written report on each student’s progress.